You know what’s great about this crock pot lentil soup? When you let your crock pot do the cooking for you, it’s like hiring your own private chef, named Francois.
In the morning, you dump some ingredients into your crock pot (Francois) and announce,
“Francois! I’ll have the spiced crock pot lentil soup for dinner tonight. Have it ready when I arrive, please.” You flip the switch on your crock pot and head out into the world to be the girl boss you are.
When you come in from the bitter cold that night, there it is – fresh, hot lentil soup. It’s yours for the scooping.
“Thank you, Francois! This is perfect.” Thank goodness for Francois. If this incredible meal wasn’t waiting for you when you got home, you might have indulged in other not-as-healthy items like canned soup, sugary hot chocolate, or raided the pantry for your kids’ snacks.
Anti-inflammatory and Healing Power of Crock Pot Lentil Soup
The lentils and spices in this crock pot lentil soup are bombshells for bringing down inflammation. Lower inflammation in your body means that instead of feeling heavy, puffy and achy, you’ll feel clear, strong and vibrant.
Check out this tasty anti-inflammatory crock pot chili recipe, too.
Plus, it’s an easy set-it-and-forget-it recipe that heats you up in temperature and warm spices. The same ingredients that add flavor (garlic and spices) also help prevent and fight colds and flu. Black pepper warms you up. A study by the University of Oklahoma also shows that a black pepper supplement can burn as many calories as a 20-minute walk.
Here’s the crock pot lentil soup recipe you’ve been waiting for! It’s based on this recipe from Sweet Phi.
Healthy Slow Cooker Spiced Lentil and Vegetable Soup
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 bunch kale (about 4 leaves), stems removed and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 teapoon salt
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (add more or less to desired heat)
- 1 inch fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 6 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable stock OR water
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and pour in vegetable stock.
- Cook on high for 5 hours, or low for 8 hours (low is preferred). Stir a few times throughout the cooking. If you like a more brothy soup, add in 1-2 cups additional stock
- Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt on the side (optional)
Love the crock pot for easy hands-off meals? Try this Crock Pot Beans Recipe, too!
Here’s another super simple anti-viral, anti-inflammatory crock pot lentil soup recipe from The Spruce.
Vegetarian Crock Pot Lentil Soup Recipe
- 2 cups lentils
- 4 cups water for soaking lentils
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or use water instead
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery sliced
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Pre-soak the lentils in water for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight. Drain, discarding soak water.
- Stir together lentils with all ingredients in a crock pot. Cook on medium heat in the crockpot for 8 to 10 hours. Enjoy your crockpot lentil soup!
The Many Benefits of Crock Pot Lentil Soup
After “Francoise” makes this decadent dish, you can give him a few days off. One of the beauties of a recipe like this is that you have a big batch. You’re set for lunches and dinner sides throughout the week.
His crock pot lentil soup is so healing, and can help you prevent or fight colds and the flu. It’s also full of insoluble fiber, which helps keep your digestion on track. That’s a very important part of feeling satisfied (but not bloated) and losing weight.
Lentils are also inexpensive and versatile. They’re perfect for lots of diets (check out my easy spicy one-week vegan and vegetarian meal plans. They’re free!). And they’re packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and protein.
Have you given lentils a shot yet? What are some of your favorite flavors to mix in?
Renate Winklareth says
Just to let you know…Francoise is a girl’s name…it should be François for a guy.. Looking forward to trying the recipe..thanks!
Thank you! We updated it!
It was delicious and easily cooked in the crockpot! I topped with chipolte red pepper flakes at serving time and had a piece of cod that was covered in a mixture of spices with it.
Excellent!! Thanks for sharing Nancy!! Make this a regular in your house and it will become even easier to get healthier.