I’m excited to share my first easy, tasty recipe with you. No matter what I did in the past, my stubborn weight never came off easily, I always felt tired and my feet would hurt a lot. I thought I couldn’t lose weight because of my genetics – until I started eating differently.
Today I’m sharing one of the recipes that helped me lose my first 10 pounds in 1 month.
Before I lost weight, I struggled throughout my whole life with:
- Cravings for sweets and food that was full of flavor
- Maintaining a weight I was happy with
- Feeling guilty that I was not doing enough and not being as motivated as I needed to feel and see results
I blamed myself for lack of results — I told myself that I should eat less, exercise more, and stay motivated.
After a while, tired of feeling like a failure, I came to the conclusion that my body was the problem. I told myself:
“I am big-boned“
“My frame is just naturally bigger than others because of genetics“ and
“My metabolism is low because I’m getting older.“
These beliefs helped me justify sitting at a place well over my ideal weight for my whole life. Today, I defy my own statement and easily live dozens of pounds and 3 sizes lower than what I believed was my lowest weight possible. I did it from changing the way I was eating. I wish I didn’t waste all that time feeling guilty and bad about myself – I could have felt so much better sooner in life if someone had told me then what I know now.
My sister still reminds me of how I just didn’t believe I could lose weight when we were growing up and even well into my twenties and early thirties.
Today I am going to share one of my recipes that helped me lose 10 pounds in 1 month.If you haven’t signed up for my email list yet, sign up immediately so that you will won’t miss my tips and recipes in the future — they will come right to you at your email box.
For an easy spicy one-week vegan meal plan to make it easy to eat healthy with a busy life and no time, check out my detailed vegan recipes, grocery list and meal plan here (and get a free PDF ebook to print out or view on your electronic device).
My Curried Garbanzo Beans Recipe and a Cooking Video
One of my favorite recipes that helped me lose 10 pounds in 1 month is Curried Garbanzo Beans. Today I am posting my recipe and a video that shows how to make it. See the video to hear the secrets of why the food I’m eating helped to accelerate weight loss.
Curried Garbanzo Beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 1 large jalapenoe / serrano pepper, chopped
- 1/2 small tomato chopped
- 1/4 small can tomato paste (if do not have paste can use 1/4 small can of tomato sauce or use another ½ tomato)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chana masala (or ½ tsp. each of cumin powder and coriander powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 15.5 oz (1 can) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained, or 1 cup cooked raw garbanzo beans
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped (for garnish)
- 1/2 onion, chopped (for garnish)
- Heat oil in medium sized pot on medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger and chilies and mix until onion becomes light brown, about 10 — 15 minutes.
- Add tomato and tomato paste and mix.
- Add spices and roast uncovered for 2-3 minutes.
- Add garbanzo beans and mix together for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water, or enough to more than cover the beans. Cover and cook on medium low heat for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and chopped onions.
- Quinoa or brown rice (instead of white rice) OR
- Eggs, fish or meat OR
- One roti or piece of whole-wheat bread.